According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, parents should ensure a safe and comfortable sleeping environment. Having the best crib mattress at home is one step towards the natural growth of your sweet baby. And it doesn’t have to cost a fortune for you either I have made a list of best affordable crib mattresses which are constructed with foam, innerspring and organic materials.
Top 8 Best Affordable Crib Mattresses in 2020
The following top 8 crib mattresses are available in the market now worth your money.
Newton Baby Crib Mattress is designed thinking about your baby’s safety. As the mattress comes with innovative technology, it allows air to flow freely throughout the mattress to make it extremely breathable. So, there is no possibility of overheating and causing sweating your baby’s back. As a result, you will enjoy comfortable sleep throughout the whole night.
The breathability feature of this mattress will also reduce the risk of suffocation of your baby. Moreover, it can decrease the possibility of CO2 re-breathing inside the mattress.
Being 100% washable at home which reduces the chance of bacteria build-up, the mattress is long-lasting and 100% recyclable. It is GREENGUARD Gold certified as the mattress is made with lowest VOCs, contains no foam, latex, springs, glue, or allergens which are completely FREE from harmful substance.
Another great thing is that the mattress offers you dual-firmness design. This feature will allow you to use the firmer side for your little baby and the softer side for your grow up toddler.
- 100% Safe
- FREE from harmful substances
- Extremely breathable
- GREENGUARD Gold-certified
- 100% washable
Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer is another harmful substance FREE crib mattress coming with dual-side. One is a firmer side for your infant and another one is a plush side for your toddler.
The mattress was built using firm high-density foam for the infant side and firm high-density foam for the toddler side. The foam is CertiPUR certified as it is completely vinyl, polyethylene, PVC phthalates and lead-free.
It is also encased in a medical-grade nylon cover which is non-toxic, waterproof, antimicrobial and odor-free. So, the mattress is completely RISK-FREE to use for your baby.
- Harmful chemical-free
- Dual side
- Antimicrobial and waterproof
- Easily cleanable
- No chemical fire retardants
When you are looking for a high-quality crib mattress with affordable price, Heavenly Dreams by Safety 1st is the best option for you.
As the mattress is made with high density and high-quality foam, it will offer your toddler firm support but a comfortable bed surface. And it has also a 100% Vinyl outer cover that is waterproof and wipes clean.
As a lightweight and durable product, the mattress owns GREENGUARD GOLD Certification. It guarantees that the mattress has the ultimate standard for low emissions of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) indoors and also free of phthalates and lead. So, it’s safe to use for your baby.
- Very light
- Harmful chemical-free
- Waterproof cover
- Easily be wiped clean
If you are looking for an eco-friendly dual firmness crib mattress, this one is only for you. As the mattress comes with dual firmness, it offers very firm support not only for your infant but also for greater comfort for your toddler.
This mattress exceeds all requirements of safety standards. It is phthalate-free and hypoallergenic. As a GREENGARD certified product, this crib mattress is also free from volatile organic compounds (VOC), formaldehyde, and phthalates which ensure 100% safety of your sweet baby.
This light and the airy mattress is also made with sustainable plant oils which will keep your baby safe from fire occurrences.
- Safe to use
- Dual-sided and dual firmness
- Organic sheet cover
- Easy to clean
Do you need the perfect combination of comfort and firmness for your baby and toddler? You can get The Milliard Crib Mattress as it’s made using a unique blend of high-quality foam to ensure the comfort and firmness for your baby.
The waterproof mattress encasement is free from flame materials and chemicals. So, if any fire accident occurs, it wouldn’t be burnt. As a result, this crib mattress is completely safe to use as your baby’s bed.
Since the mattress allows the air and heat to ventilate on the bottom, it will ensure the bed surface super comfortable for your baby.
And the mattress comes with such a cover which easily wipes away stains and messes. So, it’s very easy for you to keep the mattress clean.
- Toxic chemical-free
- CertiPUR-US certified
Many parents are relying on this crib mattress for their baby’s comfort and support as it can provide both rightly.
Another great thing with the mattress is that it is waterproof and comes with a stain-resistant cover which allows you to keep the mattress fresh and clean.
Moreover, the mattress is GreenGuard certified as it is made from natural and renewable soybeans and free from harmful and flammable chemicals. So, it ensures a safe and healthy bed for your baby.
- Healthy and safe
- 100% organic
- Easy to clean
This is another popular mattress to the parents which can meet up all your needs. The mattress takes pride itself as it is made from high-quality materials and in the USA.
The mattress includes so many amazing features. First of all, it is hypo-allergenic. Then it owns a foam insulating layer and a fire-resistant layer. Therefore it could easily meet Federal Standard Flammability Standard 16-CFR 1633. So, it’s a durable product and super safe to use as your beloved baby’s bed.
Besides, the mattress is built with polyurethane foam. As a result, your baby will enjoy a plush and comfortable feeling on the bed.
- Safe to use
- Firm and comfortable
- Easy to clean
The mattress is made with luxurious pocket coil spring. So, it can provide your baby a comfortable bed surface with right support.
Your baby will stay safe and secured on the mattress as it comes with the reinforced border protection and inn foam corner protectors.
Another great thing is that there are no chemicals in natural cotton fire protection wrap. So, it’s safer for your baby and there is no possibility of allergic reactions to your newborn. Therefore, it could easily exceed all federal flammability standards and certified by GREENGUARD GOLD and CertiPUR-US.
It owns a woven cover which is water and stain-resistant. And this feature thankfully makes the mattress durable and stays healthier in the indoor environment for your baby.
- Reinforced protection
- Toxic chemical-free
- Fire protected
- Water and stain-resistant
- Supportive and durable
Now you have the entire list of best affordable crib mattresses at your hand. Okay? You can get any of them from the list to ensure your baby’s safety and comfortable sleep. All the mattresses I have listed are healthy, safe, firmer, comfortable, waterproof, and easy to clean.
But if you look for my recommendation as a mattress expert, I will strongly recommend you Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed. The mattress is 100% safe to use as it is FREE from toxic chemical substances and super comfortable as it is highly breathable.
How to choose a crib mattress?
To ensure your baby’s new bed comfortable and safe, you should consider a few important things before buying a bed for your baby. Let’s take a look at what you should consider:
- You should get a firm crib mattress for your baby. It may be looking uncomfortable to you but a baby needs a firmer bed for its proper growth. Besides, a softer bed increases the risk of SIDS.
- Never compromise to buy a mattress without waterproof cover. So, get a crib mattress coming with a waterproof cover as your baby will pee frequently. It will help you to keep your baby Risk-FREE from infection and germs.
- It would be wise to get an eco-friendly crib mattress for your baby. Why? It’s because an eco-friendly crib mattress is free from toxic chemicals which is healthy and safe to use.
- Another most important thing you must consider is the GreenGuard certification and approval by the USA crib safety standards. Ensure your baby’s crib mattress owns both these certifications as they confirm the safety and federal flammability standard
When to replace a crib mattress?
If you follow the following things, you should replace your baby’s crib mattress:
- Take a test of the firmness of your infant’s bed. If you feel the bed is too soft, it’s not safe to use. It’s because a softer surface envelops your baby deeply which will affect its movement. It also increases the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) as it can cause suffocation.
- Make sure there is no loose thread in the mattress. If you find any loose threads, take a consideration to change the bed as your baby can pull and put the threads in its mouth and can be the cause of choking.
- If you feel there are harmful pathogens inside the bed, then change the bed immediately. As pathogens include bacteria, mold, mildew, and fungus, they will cause respiratory problems like allergies and asthma and risk for SIDS of your baby or toddler.
What size crib mattress do I need? What is the standard crib mattress size?
While buying a crib mattress, ensure the bed meets the standard size of the Federal government. It’s important as it ensures the safety of your baby.
So, what you need to keep in mind with standard size is:
- Minimum size is 27 1/4” x 51 ⅝
- The thickness shouldn’t exceed 6 inches
- Ensure a gap not more than a 1 1/4 inch gap between the mattress and crib.
- Here you need to remove your baby’s mattress from the crib, and then take a measurement about 5-6 inches from the bottom of the bed to get a right incline. Now, keep the pillow or the towel or the rolled-up blanket under the mattress. But ensure it’s kept with firmness.
- Secondly, you can buy a crib wedge and keep it under your baby’s mattress. It’s easy to use and provide you the right inclination being stuck under the mattress perfectly.
How to make crib mattress softer tips
Remember, your baby needs to have a firmer mattress for its right growth. Yet, if you feel the mattress needs to be softer a little bit, you can follow the following effective tips:
- Allow your toddler to play over it during day time.
- Sleep on your baby’s mattress for a few days. It will make the bed comfortable.
- Yet, you find it firmer, you can use a crib mattress topper for softness and comfort for your baby.