You’ll get a comfortable surface to sleep from a pillow-top mattress. Generally, pillow-top mattresses have quilted covers and you can nestle into the bed as the mattress has a few extra layers. But the question is – can you flip your pillow top mattress? This is a million-dollar question, and this guide will give you the answer. Read ahead the whole guide to know the answer.
Pillow Top Mattress – Can You Flip the Mattress?
Can you flip your pillow top mattress or not, it depends on the type of your mattress. First, check if your mattress has a pillow-top only one side or on both sides of the mattress – this will give your answer halfway. It doesn’t matter which pillow top mattress you have, is it a traditional pillow-top or euro-top.
The pillow-top cushioning is located on the surface of a mattress. If your mattress is a one-sided pillow-top then you cannot flip the mattress. That’s because you sleep on the cushioned side of the mattress. And if your mattress has the pillow-top cushion on both sides of the mattress then it is possible to flip the mattress. So the answer to your question is – if yours is a one-sided pillow-top then you cannot flip the mattress, and if it’s two-sided then you can flip it.
Follow the below-mentioned process to flip your pillow-top mattress –
– First, from the mattress remove all bed sheets and toss them in the laundry.
– Turn your mattress at 180 degrees. That’s it!
Tips and tricks of the Pillow-top Mattresses
As you now got your answer, below we’re going to share more of the tips and tricks about the pillow-top mattress. If you’re interested then keep on reading the rest of the guide…
How To Firm a Pillow Top Mattress
It is not easy to firm a pillow top mattress. But there are some ways to make a pillow top mattress firm. Rather than making a mattress soft, it’s easier to make the mattress firm.
Here are some tricks to make your pillow-top mattress firm:
- Firm Topper
On the market, there are different types of mattress toppers are available. Firm and soft, you can get both types of mattress topper. To make your pillow-top a bit firmer you can use a firm mattress topper. Most people use a memory foam mattress topper rather than other toppers. Since the memory foam is firm. Also, you can use a latex topper or polyester mattress topper.
- Check the box spring
To make a mattress firm the foundation of a mattress can also help. You will feel discomfort on a mattress if the foundation is sagging. Pay attention to the box spring you’re using for your mattress. You can make your mattress firm just adding by plywood under the mattress. And when choosing plywood, make sure it matched with the base frame.
- Trial period
If you cannot deal with the mattress then you can replace the mattress, if you’re under the trial period. And you don’t need to pay to replace the mattress. But before replacing the mattress, make sure that the mattress has the warranty tag, also, there is no stain on your mattress. Also, without any extra payment, you can get a replacement or you can take a full refund of the mattress (many mattress companies provide this).
A mattress can be soft if the mattress is in a moisture area or if you live near a beach. If this is the reason, then on a sunny day let the mattress dry itself. But before taking the mattress under the sun, take out the cushion from your pillow-top. When you keep a mattress under the sun it will kill all the silverfishes that raised in the mattress due to dampness, and other mites, bacteria, and germs also, this will bring the mattress firmness that you need.
- Room temperature
If yours is a memory foam mattress then you may know that the mattress is heat sensitive. In the winter season, you’ll get a solid feel from the memory foam mattress, and when the mattress under high temperatures, the mattress will gain extra softness. So to make the mattress firm, you can lower down the temperature of the air conditioner and try to ventilate your room. And according to your preferences, adjust the temperature of the room.
- Place it on the floor
When the above-mentioned tips do not work, just place your mattress directly on the floor. In your bedroom put the mattress down on the floor, and the solid surface of the floor will help to make the mattress firm. But before placing the mattress on the floor, clean the surface properly and wipe out any dust. And then on the floor, lay down a cover or bedsheet and on that place the mattress. To make a soft mattress to the firm, this is the easiest way.
- Sell or Donate the Mattress
If you cannot sleep on the mattress then you can either sell the mattress or donate the mattress. And then buy a whole new mattress that is firm enough for you.
Learn more about >> New mattress too firm? Learn How to Soften it
How to clean a pillow-top mattress?
Things you’ll need to clean the mattress:
- Vacuum cleaner
- A spray bottle
- Baking soda
- Laundry detergent
By using your vacuum cleaner attachment, vacuum the whole mattress. Thoroughly clean the mattress properly from top to bottom, side to side. Also, underneath the mattress, clean the area.
Pour equal part of water and vinegar in a spray bottle, and then mix them well. And then spray the solution on the mattress properly.
If there are any stains on your mattress, then, make a paste with water and laundry detergent and on the stained area with a soft cloth apply the paste. And then scrub the area. For at least five minutes, let the paste sit on the mattress. And then with your vacuum cleaner attachment clean the area.
If odors are coming from the mattress then on the mattress, sprinkle some baking soda and then for at least four hours, let the baking soda sit there. Vacuum the surface after four hours.
If possible, take the mattress outside of the home and set the mattress directly under the sunlight. Flip the mattress after a few hours. Sunlight helps to kill any germs and bacteria of the mattress.
Before sleeping on the mattress, make sure the mattress is dry properly. A damp mattress is home to germs and bacteria. So dry the mattress properly. If you cannot clean the mattress by yourself then take the mattress to the expert mattress cleaner. They will clean your mattress properly.
Benefits and drawbacks of a pillow-top mattress
Below are the benefits of a pillow-top mattress that tell you should buy a pillow-top mattress for a better night of sleep.
- You will feel soft and more comfortable on a pillow-top mattress. That’s because a pillow-top mattress uses an extra pad to give the sleeper a more comfortable sleep. And from this mattress side sleepers and back sleepers get more benefit.
- In favor of pillow-top mattresses, a positive point is good support.
- With the affordability of the mattress, most of the users are satisfied. A pillow top mattress provides the same support and comfort just like a memory foam mattress, and a memory foam mattress is very expensive so people can easily afford a memory foam mattress.
- A pillow top mattress is a better option for pain relief, especially for back pain.
- With the mattress sturdiness and the quality – most of the customers are satisfied.
Everything has some drawbacks and the same goes for a pillow-top mattress as well. But these drawbacks are not a major issue, and you can adjust with them.
- About the pillow top mattress, a major complaint is heating. Especially if on top of the mattress uses dense materials or memory foam then it feels more heat.
- Rather than innerspring mattresses, the pillow-top mattresses are more expensive and some times pillow top mattress has a fixed budget, that why many people couldn’t afford it.
- You will notice indentations are developed on the pillow top mattress if the mattress layer is not good-quality. And because of the manufacturing defect indentations grows on the mattress, when the mattress sink deeper than normal but the soft mattresses they contour the sleeper’s body and thus it develop indentations.
- Another reason for the indentations is if on top of the mattress it uses feathers of foam.
- Deeper fitted sheets required on the pillow-top mattresses. As rather than the normal standard mattress the thickness of the pillow-top mattress is bigger so it requires deeper fitted sheets.
- A pillow-top mattress is too-soft for some users.
The Bottom Line
We hope you get the answer to your question if you can flip your pillow-top mattress or not. Also, now you know how you can take care of your mattress and the pros and cons of this mattress. A pillow-top mattress is very durable, and it provides great support and comfort to the sleeper. Make sure regularly you take care of the mattress. And before buying a pillow top mattress check the materials that use the mattress.