Generally, pillow-top mattresses have quilted covers, and you can nestle into the bed as the mattress has a few extra layers. But the question is – can you flip your pillow-top mattress? This is a million-dollar question, and this guide will give you the answer.
Pillow Top Mattress – Can You Flip the Mattress?
Well, It depends on the type of your mattress. First, check if your mattress has a pillow-top on only one side or on both sides of the mattress – this will give your answer halfway. It doesn’t matter which pillow-top mattress you have, whether it’s a traditional pillow-top or euro-top.
The pillow-top cushioning is located on the surface of a mattress. If your mattress is a one-sided pillow-top, you cannot flip the mattress. That’s because you sleep on the cushioned side of the mattress.
And if your mattress has a pillow-top cushion on both sides of the mattress, then it is possible to flip the mattress. So the answer to your question is – if yours is a one-sided pillow-top, then you cannot flip the mattress, and if it’s two-sided, you can flip it.
Follow the below-mentioned process to flip your pillow-top mattress –
– First, remove all bed sheets from the mattress and toss them in the laundry.
– Turn your mattress to 180 degrees. That’s it!
Tips and tricks of the Pillow-top Mattresses
As you now get your answer below, we’re going to share more of the tips and tricks about the pillow-top mattress. If you’re interested, then keep on reading the rest of the guide…
How To Firm a Pillow Top Mattress
It is not easy to firm a pillow-top mattress. But there are some ways to make a pillow top mattress firm. Rather than making a mattress soft, it’s easier to make the mattress firm.
Here are some tricks to make your pillow-top mattress firm:
- Firm Topper
On the market, there are different types of mattress toppers available. Firm and soft, you can get both types of mattress toppers. You can use a firm mattress topper to make your pillow top a bit firmer.
Most people use a memory foam mattress topper rather than other toppers. Since the memory foam is firm, you can use a latex or polyester mattress topper.
- Check the box spring.
To make a mattress firm, the foundation of a mattress can also help. You will feel discomfort on a mattress if the foundation is sagging. Pay attention to the box spring you’re using for your mattress.
You can make your mattress firm just by adding plywood under the mattress. And when choosing plywood, make sure it matches with the base frame.
- Trial period
If you cannot deal with the mattress, then you can replace the mattress if you’re under the trial period. And you don’t need to pay to replace the mattress. But before replacing the mattress, make sure that the mattress has the warranty tag; also, there is no stain on your mattress.
Also, without any extra payment, you can get a replacement, or you can take a full refund of the mattress (many mattress companies provide this).
A mattress can be soft if the mattress is in a moisture area or if you live near a beach. If this is the reason, then on a sunny day, let the mattress dry itself. But before taking the mattress under the sun, take out the cushion from your pillow top.
When you keep a mattress under the sun, it will kill all the silverfishes that are raised in the mattress due to dampness and other mites, bacteria, and germs also; this will bring the mattress firmness that you need.
- Room temperature
If yours is a memory foam mattress, you may know that the mattress is heat sensitive. In the winter season, you’ll get a solid feel from the memory foam mattress, and when the mattress is under high temperatures, the mattress will gain extra softness.
So to make the mattress firm, you can lower the air conditioner’s temperature and try to ventilate your room. And according to your preferences, adjust the temperature of the room.
- Place it on the floor.
When the tips mentioned above do not work, just place your mattress directly on the floor. In your bedroom, put the mattress down on the floor, and the solid surface of the floor will help to make the mattress firm. But before placing the mattress on the floor, clean the surface properly and wipe out any dust. And then on the floor, lay down a cover or bedsheet and on that place the mattress. To make a soft mattress firm, this is the easiest way.
- Sell or Donate the Mattress
If you cannot sleep on the mattress, then you can either sell the mattress or donate the mattress. And then buy a whole new mattress that is firm enough for you.
You can also learn where to donate your mattress.
How to clean a pillow-top mattress?
Things you’ll need to clean the mattress:
- Vacuum cleaner
- A spray bottle
- Baking soda
- Laundry detergent
By using your vacuum cleaner attachment, vacuum the whole mattress. Thoroughly clean the mattress properly from top to bottom, side to side. Also, underneath the mattress, clean the area.
Pour equal parts of water and vinegar into a spray bottle, and then mix them well. And then spray the solution on the mattress properly.
If there are any stains on your mattress, make a paste with water and laundry detergent, and apply the paste to the stained area with a soft cloth. And then scrub the area. For at least five minutes, let the paste sit on the mattress. And then, with your vacuum cleaner attachment, clean the area.
If odors are coming from the mattress, sprinkle some baking soda on the mattress, and then, for at least four hours, let the baking soda sit there. Vacuum the surface after four hours.
If possible, take the mattress outside of the home and set the mattress directly under the sunlight. Flip the mattress after a few hours. Sunlight helps to kill any germs and bacteria on the mattress.
Before sleeping on the mattress, make sure the mattress is dry properly. A damp mattress is home to germs and bacteria. So dry the mattress properly. If you cannot clean the mattress by yourself, then take the mattress to the expert mattress cleaner. They will clean your mattress properly.
Benefits and drawbacks of a pillow-top mattress
Below are the benefits of a pillow-top mattress that tell you should buy a pillow-top mattress for a better night of sleep.
- You will feel soft and more comfortable on a pillow-top mattress. That’s because a pillow-top mattress uses an extra pad to give the sleeper a more comfortable sleep. And from this mattress, side sleepers and back sleepers get more benefits.
- In favor of pillow-top mattresses, a positive point is good support.
- With the affordability of the mattress, most of the users are satisfied. A pillow-top mattress provides the same support and comfort as a memory foam mattress; a memory foam mattress is very expensive, so people can easily afford a memory foam mattress.
- A pillow-top mattress is a better option for pain relief, especially for back pain.
- Most customers are satisfied with the mattress’s sturdiness and quality.
Everything has some drawbacks; the same goes for a pillow-top mattress. But these drawbacks are not a major issue, and you can adjust to them.
- About the pillow-top mattress, a major complaint is heating. Especially if on top of the mattress uses dense materials or memory foam, then it feels more heat.
- Rather than innerspring mattresses, pillow-top mattresses are more expensive, and sometimes pillow-top mattresses have a fixed budget, so many people can’t afford them.
- You will notice indentations are developed on the pillow-top mattress if the mattress layer is not of good quality. And because of the manufacturing defect, indentations grow on the mattress; when the mattress sinks deeper than normal, the soft mattresses contour the sleeper’s body and thus develop indentations.
- Another reason for the indentations is that on top of the mattress, it uses feathers of foam.
- Deeper fitted sheets are required on the pillow-top mattresses. As rather than the normal standard mattress, the thickness of the pillow-top mattress is bigger, so it requires deeper fitted sheets.
- A pillow-top mattress is too-soft for some users.
The Bottom Line
We hope you get the answer to your question if you can flip your pillow-top mattress or not. Also, now you know how you can take care of your mattress and the pros and cons of this mattress. A pillow-top mattress is very durable and provides great support and comfort to the sleeper. Make sure you regularly take care of the mattress. And before buying a pillow-top mattress, check the materials that use in the mattress.